10 Signs You Need a New Furnace
If you have an older furnace you may be wondering if you should give in now or wait it out and see what happens. Sometimes your furnace is trying to tell you something and watching and listening for certain signs can give you a good indication that it is time to replace your old furnace.
Is Your Furnace Telling You Something?
These 10 signs are a good indication that your furnace is trying to tell you that it is close to the end of its life.
- Rising Energy Bills – Rising energy costs can be a definite sign that something is wrong with your furnace. If you have noticed your energy costs rise swiftly your furnace is having to work harder and replacing it may save you a lot of money in the future.
- Uncomfortable Home – If your furnace is having trouble keeping up with your home’s heating needs, your furnace may be reaching the end of its life. Replacing your old unit can help keep your home comfortable all winter long.
- Excess Repairs – If you are spending a lot of time scheduling repair appointments, your furnace is likely ready to give up the ghost. In the long run you will save money by not having to call for repairs all the time.
- Strange Sounds – While some noises can be fixed, squealing and clanging can sometimes occur as your furnace ages. Sometimes a furnace will continue to get louder and louder as it ages.
- Yellow Flames – If you have a gas furnace checking the flame can give you a good idea as to what is happening. If you have a yellow flame instead of a blue flame your furnace may be producing excess carbon monoxide.
- Weak Air Flow – If you notice that the hot air coming out of your vents is not very strong your furnace may have major issues with its motor. Sometimes the motor can be repaired but depending on age it may be better to replace the unit.
- Excess Dust – If you have noticed more dust in your home your furnace is no longer doing a good job at removing airborne particles.
- Rust, Cracks, or Corrosion – If you take a look at your furnace and you notice rust, cracks, or corrosion then for safety reasons you need to have your furnace thoroughly checked. Once these things start occurring your furnace is showing its age and replacement is imminent.
- Cycling or Not Cycling – If your furnace is cycling on and off a lot or it just staying on constantly, this is a good sign that your furnace is no longer working correctly
- Completely Inoperable – If your furnace is more than 10 years old and it just stops working have someone look at it, it may be an easy fix or it may be trying to tell you something.
Choose W.F. Smith for Furnace Replacement in Philadelphia
W.F. Smith was great. They worked very professionally and neat. They were extremely knowledgeable about the equipment and all specific HVAC practices. Would recommend them to the world!