How Long Will My Heating System Last?
In order to make it through the winter every year, you’ll want to make sure that you have a heating system that you can depend on. The last thing you’ll want is for your heating system to break down on you in the midst of some of the coldest temperatures of the year. Knowing when to replace your heating system will help you to avoid such problems.
How Long do Heating Systems Last?
When it comes to something like a furnace or a boiler, you can expect them to last between ten and 15 years. However, these days, newer heating systems are much more effective and efficient, which means that newer heating systems could end up lasting upwards of 25 years. This does depend on how you take care of your heating system.
Maintaining Your Heating System
If you make sure that your heating system is properly maintained, then it’s more likely to last longer. There are a few ways that you can do this.
- Improve your home’s efficiency – If your home is losing heat, it means that your heating system will have to work extra hard to replace that heat. By eliminating air leaks throughout your house and by taking other measures to improve your home’s efficiency, such as adding better insulation or upgrading old windows and doors to more energy efficient models, you can help keep heat from escaping your home, allowing your heating system to work less. The less it has to work, the longer it will last.
- Change your filters – Your air filters help to keep your home’s air quality high. Their job is to trap dust and debris, thereby preventing contaminants from circulating throughout your home. However, if the filters get too dirty, they will begin obstructing the air flow throughout your house, which will force your heating system to use more energy to produce more heat, thereby causing unnecessary wear and tear. Check your filters every month and change them every one to three months as needed.
- Schedule annual inspections – A thorough inspection before winter can help ensure that your heating system is working effectively and efficiently. Professional inspectors will make repairs, clean components and lubricate parts as needed to help keep your heating system working properly for as long as possible.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Heating System
The following are some of the common signs that your heating system is reaching the end of its life and needs to be replaced:
- Your heating bills are too high – If your heating costs have skyrocketed, it means that your heating system can no longer produce heat efficiently.
- It’s no longer working effectively – If you’re unable to heat your home effectively or evenly, it could be because your heating system is reaching the end of its lifespan.
- It’s making strange sounds – Strange, loud sounds are often indicative of broken or damaged components.
W.F. Smith was great. They worked very professionally and neatly. They were extremely knowledgeable about the equipment and all specific HVAC practices. Would recommend them to the world!